The development environment
We wish to program a game, but with what?
This decision will depend on many factors. As I approach this as a hobby or my side business the most important factor is the time I have. By that I rule out that I could start with absolutely nothing – a game engine or an appropriate development environment must be found.
Such a development environment that was created for the games development, already usually involves a game engine with many useful features.
Anticipation – My decision was GameMaker: Studio, but there are some alternatives:
See list of game engines.
Below I would like to present a few of these development environments, with a few keywords of the respective companies themselves:
- Feature-rich and highly flexible editor
- 22 platforms
- Uniquely extendible tool
- Create highly-optimized content
- Amazing visual fidelity, rendering power and ambience
- Rapid iteration
- Retargetable animations
- Full control of animation weights at runtime
- Enlighten-powered Real-time Global Illumination
- Physically-based shading
- Audio: Real-time mixing and mastering
- 2D and 3D Physics – Box2D, NVIDIA® PhysX® 3.3
- Version control: Perforce and Plastic SCM
- DirectX 11 & 12 Rendering Features
- New Material Pipeline
- Blueprint Visual Scripting
- Content Browser
- Matinee Cinematics
- Terrain & Foliage
- Full Source Code Access
- Simulate & Immersive Views
- 14+ platforms
- Asset Workflow: Shaders, Sprites, Sounds, Fonts
- Scripting: Script Editor, built-in scripting language
- real-world physics: Box2D
- multichannel three dimensional positional audio utilising
- Several compilers
- Monetize, Analyse, Social media, Game Services
- Source Control: SVN, CVS or Git
- Enhanced map editor
- Character/Enemy/Skill/Equipment Database
- Built-in Character Generator
- Cof graphics, with 4 tilesets and collapsed character sprites
- Shadow tool
- Own scripting: RGSS3, based on Ruby 1.9.2
- Windows only
- HTML5 2D games
- Quick & Easy
- Flexible Behaviors as pre-packaged functions
- Instant Preview without compiling
- Blend modes, effects and particle system
- Over 70 WebGL-based pixel shader
- Multiplatform Export
- Easy Extensibility
- I already have licenses for the commercial use of the iOS and Android modules.
- I have been working since 2008 with older versions of Game Maker and have accumulated a lot of experience, which could save time.
- I have already created other projects with it, in which I have invested much effort in reusability, especially in the last project.